Shaffer Trucking takes pride in hiring the most professional truck drivers the industry has to offer. Part of this comes from our comprehensive truck driver orientation program. See our qualifications below.
- One year verifiable tractor trailer experience.***
- Has acceptably passed the required company and D.O.T. physical, the required drug test and the company in-truck driving test and otherwise meets D.O.T. requirements.
- Has a Class A CDL issued by the driver’s state of residence.
- Has a stable, verifiable work history.
- Has attained the minimum age of 22 years.
- Has an acceptable driving record as reflected by MVR with no major preventable accident in the most recent five (5) years.
- No DUI or DWI convictions or positive drug screens or events in the past five (5) years.
- Acceptable Criminal History.
- Be able to perform functions set forth in the job description.
*** Exceptions to the one (1) year OTR requirement may be made for company drivers on an individual basis, based on a stable work history. Shaffer also accepts qualified student drivers who have successfully completed schooling at an approved school.
Orientation Schedule and Pay
As part of the employment process, all applicants cleared for hire by Shaffer Trucking will be required to attend orientation at one of our four orientation locations: Lincoln, Nebraska; Lenoir City, Tennessee; New Kingstown, Pennsylvania; or Wilmer, Texas.
Company drivers will be provided transportation to the orientation site, lodging, and meals. In addition, company drivers will be paid $170 upon successful completion of orientation.
Owner Operators are reimbursed for bobtailing from home location or last location to the nearest orientation site. Lodging and meals are paid for while attending orientation. Owner Operator drivers are paid $.40 CPM for OO orientation.
You are required to have a valid CDL before you begin orientation with Shaffer Trucking. View our list of preferred driving schools for truck driver education if you are looking for a place to get your CDL.
In the classroom, our drivers get introduced to Shaffer’s mobile technology, a trip planning refresher, and a review of safety guidelines designed to keep you, and those with whom you share the road, safe.
Drivers will go through a pre-trip inspection, coupling/uncoupling procedure and a road course to make sure you are ready to drive the open road.
We participate in required DOT urinalysis along with Hair Testing.
Want more information before you start?
Give our Recruiting Team a call at 800-669-0322 to learn more.